Blue Cross Blue Shield of Illinois Medicare Supplement Insurance
Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Illinois, founded in 1936, began right in the middle of Chicago during America’s Great Depression. From the beginning, BCBS of Illinois’s core value was, and still is, to protect members from complete financial loss under healthcare costs.
Even now, BCBS of Illinois remains non-publicly traded, continuing to focus on members with shared ownership.
A community healthcare leader, the company also employs almost 33% of the state and is now reaching up to over 8.1 million enrolled across the whole of Illinois.
The location of the Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Illinois headquarters can be found at Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Illinois, 300 East Randolph Street, Chicago, Illinois 60601-5099.
Two phone numbers are provided for Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Illinois Medicare supplement plans – one for customer service and one for new enrollment.
If calling for new enrollment into a BCBS of Illinois supplement plan, please call the toll-free number of (800) 646-3000.
If calling for BCBS of Illinois Medigap customer service, call (800) 624-1723 to speak to a representative about your further questions.
What Makes the Company Special?
Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Illinois is, by far, the largest and most historic Medicare supplement provider in the state of Illinois. With close to 8 million people enrolled, BCBS of Illinois has several aspects that keeps itself separated from other insurance options.
What Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Illinois wants to represent as a brand is very important to what makes the company special.
After all, these are the values the company sells itself on to satisfy your needs.
- First, Blue Cross and Blue Shield is a familiar name you can put your trust into.
- Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Illinois has over 80 years of experience in the Illinois insurance industry and is ready to serve you.
- Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Illinois is also local and regulated by all its enrolled members.
- BCBS of Illinois does not trade itself publicly, meaning you can avoid the influence of the market affecting your plan.
- Finally, Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Illinois makes fulfilling your needs completely their responsibility.
- As your “Customer Advocates,” BCBS of Illinois walks you through your personal healthcare situation, supporting you all the way.
Once a member, you’re provided several services and tools to improve your experience as a Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Illinois plan holder.
- Blue Access for Members allows you to check the status of your claims, account balances, and benefit coverage all online. A Blue Access Mobile is also available for phones, allowing for on-the-go updates.
- A 24/7 nurse hotline, health advisor, and access to fitness professionals (like message therapists, trainers, or nutritionists) is available.
- The Blue365 Member Discount Program supplies you with discounts for health-care goods from fitness to dental, vision, or hearing.
These perks help to make the best of your coverage by giving bonuses and making things simpler.
As one of the main insurance providers in the state of Illinois, Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Illinois supplies several plan types for coverage to its members.
Like BCBS of Illinois Medicare supplement plans, some coverage needs you to have Medicare before being enrolled:
- BCBS of Illinois Medicare Advantage Plans (Part C)
- BCBS of Illinois Stand-Alone Prescription Drug Plans (Part D)
If you don’t have Medicare, you can also enroll into a Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Illinois plan for:
- Individual and Family Health
- Medical Care when Traveling – Short Term and Long Term
- Dental Health
- Student Medical Insurance
List of States They Sell In
As a state-specific provider, Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Illinois only sells available plan options in Illinois.
Plans They Sell
Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Illinois sells a wide variety of Medicare supplement plan types, including the popular High-Deductible Plan F.
Of the 11 total plans, including High-Deductible Plan F, BCBS of Illinois offers the follow 9 below:
- Medigap Plan A
- Medigap Plan B
- Medigap Plan C
- Medigap Plan F
- High Deductible Medigap Plan F
- Medigap Plan G
- Medigap Plan K
- Medigap Plan L
- Medigap Plan N
Ratings and Review
The headquarters of Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Illinois holds an F rating from the Better Business Bureau, with 11 filed complaints being given no response.
Also, of 98 reviews completed on Consumer Affairs, the company has an average Overall Satisfaction Rating of one-star out of five.
In financial strength, the operator of Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Illinois, Health Care Service Corporation (HCSC,) has received an A rating from Standard & Poors, A.M. Best, and Moody’s. These A’s let you know that BCBS of Illinois will remain money-secure.
In its 80 years as an insurance company, Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Illinois has gotten some complaints about its business practices.
But, because the value of a complaint is in the context of the issue, the number of complaints won’t matter as much if the problems are a result of misinformation or small mistakes.
In most online complaints placed against BCBS of Illinois, you see common themes pop out:
- You find members unable to find specialists who accept coverage.
- You find members frustrated with “uneducated” customer service help.
- You find members feeling it’s impossible to get information by phone or online.
Thankfully, because Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Illinois acts as the provider for a lot of plans, these complaints aren’t universal to your plan experience.
Remember – BCBS of Illinois is the origin of the Blue Cross and Blue Shield brand. It serves over 8 million residents today, all with unique problems and needs from their coverage. The problems of the few are outliers in the whole scheme of things, because even 100 complaints in 8 million members is a small margin.