Blue Cross Blue Shield of Oklahoma Medicare Supplement Insurance
Originally the “Group Hospital Services of Oklahoma,” Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Oklahoma was first introduced from a loan building in Tulsa, Oklahoma on March 15th, 1940. Known for “community enrollment programs,” BCBS of Oklahoma grew in the 50s by using mobile enrollment offices to gather a following.
In 1973, 30 years after the company’s founding, Blue Cross of Oklahoma decided to merge with another coverage, the Blue Shield Companion Plan.
Now, with well over 850,000 members and 1,100 employees, BCBS of Oklahoma continues towards making their coverage, and their state, a better place to be.
The headquarters for Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Oklahoma sits at 1400 S Boston, Tulsa, Oklahoma 74119. A separate mailing address is listed for the company under a P.O. box of:
Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Oklahoma
P.O. Box 3283
Tulsa, Oklahoma 74102-3283
For further help, Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Oklahoma has two separate “customer service centers” in the state of Oklahoma. A customer service phone number of (918) 551-3500 is shared between both centers.
Each customer service center also has its own walk-in address, as listed below:
Tulsa Customer Service Center – 7777 E. 42nd Place, Tulsa, Oklahoma 74145
Oklahoma Customer Service Center – 3817 Northwest Expressway, Suite 300, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma 73112
What Makes the Company Special?
As the biggest provider of healthcare insurance in Oklahoma, Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Oklahoma continues to be a special choice against other Medicare supplement options.
And now, with more than 800,000 residents enrolled, BCBS of Oklahoma has narrowed down a few reasons why and how they continue to stay ahead of the curve.
These 4 aspects allow the company to stay relevant, up-to-date, and flexible:
- BCBS of Oklahoma has the largest network in Oklahoma, creating more opportunities for your preferred doctor, facility, or specialist to be in-network.
- Blue Cross and Blue Shield is a recognized leader in the healthcare business – you’re dealing with professionals, experienced to fulfill your coverage.
- BCBS of Oklahoma makes your plan all about you from the start to the end. By instituting “Customer Advocates” that follow the status of your plan, the help you get is personal and ongoing.
- Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Oklahoma wants you to have all the tools you need to feel confident and comfortable once enrolled, including ways to get further discounts and check on your coverage.
Many of the tools provided by Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Oklahoma are web-based but are simple to operate and understand. For example:
- BCBS of Oklahoma’s secure website, Blue Access for Members, allows you to keep up-to-date with changes to your health plan, claims, and more. You can use this perk through the comfort of your computer, but a phone or tablet will work fine too.
- If you need more help or have specific questions, you’re also given access to professionals in both health and fitness, and a 24/7 nurse hotline, for further peace of mind.
- Another example, the Blue365 Member Discount Program, gives special discounts on some extra benefits including dental, vision, hearing, gym services, and more.
To continue serving the highest amount of people in Oklahoma, Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Oklahoma offers a wide selection of plan options for many needs.
Some of these, called Blue Cross Medicare Options, are for those enrolled into Medicare. They include:
- BCBS of Oklahoma Medicare supplement plans (Medigap)
- BCBS of Oklahoma Medicare Advantage plans (Part C)
- BCBS of Oklahoma Stand-Alone Prescription Drug Plans (Part D)
But, because many people are not eligible for Medicare, BCBS of Oklahoma doesn’t stop there. Several options apply to both the general and specific needs of others, like:
- Health Insurance Plans for Individuals or Families
- Dental Coverage Plans
- Student Health Insurance Plans
- Medical Plans for both Short- and Long-Term Travel
List of States They Sell In
Being a state-specific provider, Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Oklahoma only sells its available plan options in Oklahoma.
Plans They Sell
Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Oklahoma has a selection of 4 supplement plan options available for enrollment:
- Medigap Plan A
- Medigap Plan F
- High Deductible Medigap Plan F
- Medigap Plan N
Because all insurance companies must provide Medigap Plan A as a basic coverage, popular plans like F and N (with high benefits but more cost) are BCBS of Oklahoma’s standard.
Ratings and Review
Since 2011, the headquarters of Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Oklahoma has remained an accredited business, rated A+, under the Better Business Bureau.
However, aside from its BBB rating, there are little other reviews given for BCBS of Oklahoma, with only a few one-star Yelp Reviews to go from otherwise.
Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Oklahoma’s licenser, Health Care Service Corporation (HCSC,) holds several A ratings from the likes of Standard & Poors, A.M. Best, and Moody’s, meaning the company is quality and secure.
With a long history of service, Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Oklahoma has received a fair share of complaints about their business operation.
But a lot of complaints come from misunderstandings and need the right context.
For example, in BCBS of Oklahoma’s case, the company has resolved many online complaints going back to as early as 2017. This shows that the business takes member issues seriously and does not want to compromise the Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Oklahoma brand.
Though, let’s look at and compare some of their common complaints from before. With this information, you can see why members may have felt the need to voice their complaint in the first place:
- Some members reported having problems with Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Oklahoma coverage between states. Above all, BCBS of Oklahoma is state-focused, which means customer service about out-of-state coverage isn’t a top priority.
- Another common complaint of BCBS of Oklahoma comes from denied claims. There’s little to say about a denied claim – if you have appealed your case, and know your plan inside and out, the outcome of a claim will make a lot more sense to you.
But, to be honest, this isn’t unique to Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Oklahoma – many insurance companies get the same complaint, but in an even greater amount.